Red Bull Music Academy touches down in Paris next month and today the RBMA lifted the lid on what the class of 2015 – and electronic music fans – can expect during their time in Paris.
For the duration of five weeks, 61 participants from 37 different countries are invited to work on music together in the state-of-the-art recording facilities at the Academy’s headquarters at La Gaîté lyrique, where a team of studio mentors including Modeselektor, Thundercat, Just Blaze and Dorian Concept will provide mentoring help and work side-by-side with the Class of 2015 around the clock.
To give you an idea of the kind of events RBMA organises around the academy, check out last year’s Cart Diggers Live special in Tokyo where video game soundtracks were re-imagined for the club
Oneohtrix Point Never gets into shoot ’em up mode with Bullet Hell Abstraction IV, Fatima Al Qadiri plays original covers of soundtracks from Donkey Kong Country in a set entitled Forgotten World, and the RBMA Entertainment System aka Branko, Dre Skull, and Mumdance pay homage to Streets Of Rage composer Yuzo Koshiro.
Over the course of the terms, the Academy will celebrate different generations of France’s musical vanguard in a multitude of public events at venues throughout the city including:
- The Paris Musique Club exhibition from 24th October to 31st January 2016 – series of interactive installations created by Scale collective exploring intersections between music and digital art.
- 12 trailblazing local collectives including Garage MU, In Paradisum, SNTWN and Antinote taking turns in presenting uniquely expansive realizations of their musical visions at La Gaîté lyrique.
- Electronic pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre sitting down for a rare public lecture as will legendary disco producer, composer and drummer Cerrone.
- Nicolas Godin, of much-loved electronica duo Air, presenting his impressive Contrepoint live show for the first time ever, and sharing the bill with the magnificent Lætitia Sadier of Stereolab.
- Two after parties at Pitchfork Paris Music Festival featuring Rustie, Omar S, Galcher Lustwerk, Nosaj Thing, Stwo and more.
- The Pitchfork Paris Club Night with Academy alumnus Hudson Mohawke presenting his live show, back-to-back sets from esteemed selectors John Talabot and Roman Flügel, and French techno godfather Laurent Garnier closing the night.
- The world-famous Rex Club hosting French electronic music’s enfant terrible Mr. Oizo, joined by L.I.E.S. Records head Ron Morelli, Minimal Wave founder Veronica Vasicka and The Mover.
- The celebrated Concrete series providing the backdrop for a farewell to Modeselektor’s 50WEAPONS imprint with sets by Modeselektor, Shed, Bambounou, Fjakk and more.
- Teaming up with local collectives Yard and Free Your Funk for a massive celebration of French hip hop.
- Doom metal greats Sunn O))) filling YOYO with noise.
- South Central’s jazz ambassador Kamasi Washington holding a stargazing musical mass at Le Trabendo.
- Producer, DJ, and neuroscientist, Dr. Sam Shepherd presenting his Floating Points Ensemble at New Morning.
- Arcade Fire co-conspirators Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld playing alongside Brooklyn avant-metal outfit Liturgy.
- A club night at Badaboum featuring DJ icons François K and Joakim b2b Gilb’r.
- A night showcasing some of the most cutting-edge live A/V shows today pairs French industrial techno auteur Mondkopf and Hyperdub affiliate Inga Copeland
- An evening celebrating the sounds of the African continent, including Nozinja, Nahawa Doumbia, and South African rapper Okmalumkoolkat.
- Voguing with Vjuan Allure and Teki Latex, hosted by Lasseindra Ninja.
- The Academy’s final night at La Gaîté lyrique hosting an all-star lineup of French selectors and producers currently shaping the sound of contemporary French dance, experimental, and bass music.
- And more TBA.
Tickets and full event info now available at redbullmusicacademy.com/paris
Finally, as anticipation for the Paris Academy reaches fever pitch, the UK will bid adieu to home-grown participants Corey K, Emma-Jean Thackray and Hyroglifics in style at Departure Lounge on 22nd October at London’s Arch Gallery. Before they leave for two weeks of live shows, club nights, lectures and workshops, Red Bull Music Academy will be igniting imaginations with a stellar line-up of UK and French DJs playing back-to-back, befitting of the fertile Anglo-French relations in the contemporary music scene. Still secret, the line-up will be announced in the coming weeks.
Event: Red Bull Music Academy presents Departure Lounge
Line up: To be announced
Date: 22nd October 2015
Times: 8pm to midnights
Venue: The Arch Gallery
Address: 289 Railway Arches, Cambridge Heath Road, London, E2 9HA
Tickets: Free entry – first come first served