Loading Posts...

Someone clearly wasn’t happy that Grooveshark was forced offline last week as a cloned version of the streaming service has appeared online today.

The mysterious user, who goes by the name Shark, suspected the site was about to go offline and set in motion a rescue plan that saw him backup 80% of the service’s music, and he’s now trying to secure the other 20% of missing music.

“I was connected to Grooveshark a few years back and I have, together with the team I’ve gathered, the knowledge and the technological abilities to bring it back to life,” Shark told The Verge.

The new Grooveshark.io won’t allow users to upload their own music, so it’s not an exact carbon copy of the original, and since its relaunch they’ve already had to move servers after their current hosting company pulled the plug, “It’s going to be a roller coaster, and we’re ready for it.”

“I have huge and unexpected plans for Grooveshark,” Shark writes, “and I promise you this is not even close to being its end.”

Andrew Rafter

Andrew Rafter is the editor and founder of Harder Blogger Faster.